Position Job: Tribal Government Tax Collector
Reports To: Tribal Council
Status: Exempt Fulltime Permanent
Annual Salary Range: $32,000 DOE
Indian Preference in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934, application for this position must include verification of Indian blood, if Indian heritage is claimed.
The Pit River Tribe (PRT) job description is a management tool to help organize duties and provide employees with the employer’s expectations with regard to the specific job classification. The duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is a reasonable assignment for the position.
Summary: The purpose of this position is to ensure that all taxes assessed on tribal businesses, or any business located on tribal trust land within the Pit River Tribes jurisdiction is administered and enforced according to the PRT taxation code.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Include the following because of the PRT’s commitment to community service and the well-being of its members, each employee may be expected to perform a wide range of office and field duties relating to the program requirements:
• Make recommendations to the Tribal Businesses regarding amendments to the code.
• To demand access to and inspect, examine and audit all papers, books, and records of all persons, and entities subject to taxation under this code, and require verification of any matter affecting the taxation of such person or entity or the enforcement of this code.
• To issue subpoenas and compel the attendance of witnesses at scheduled hearings.
• To propose regulations as authorized by the code.
• To receive and investigate complaints of violations of this code or of its rules, and to refer for prosecution the violations of such rules.
• Conduct tax processing business as delineated within the code
• Annual and quarterly reports of all of all tax revenues collected as provided in the code, and all investigative actions conducted within the report period.
• Propose for adoption or amendment, or repeal such regulations, consistent with the policy, objects and purposes of the code.
• Oversight of all forms used by the tax payers, the form and manner in which tax payers keep records, books and accounts.
• The manner and method of collection of tax and delinquent tax.
• Requirements concerning payment by a tax payer of all or a portion of the cost of an investigation of that tax payer.
• Protection of due process and the rights of tax payers and all individuals subject to the enforcement of the code.
• Procedures for proposing rules.
• Develop forms, tax stamps, or seals that may be necessary for the purpose of verifying compliance with the code.
• Distribution of tax proceeds.
• Accurate records shall be stored and maintained, and backed up
• Receive all appeals and make recommendations on those appeals.
• Must be able to pass background check
• Must have a California driver’s license and own a vehicle and must BE INSURED
• Bachelor degree related to finance preferred; or Experience related in accounting finance field / tax collection assessment.
• Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Experience in investigatory work.
• Knowledge of Microsoft word, Excel, and database systems
• Ability to read analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to respond to questions from groups of managers, community members, agency representatives and Tribal Council
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts, proportions, percentages
• Knowledge of state and federal guidelines, regulations and laws pertaining to tax issues.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and be able to prioritize assignments
• Must be willing to submit to and clear a pre-employment alcohol and drug screen the PRT is a drug free work place
Nothing in this position description, or by completion of any requirement of the job by the employee, is intended to create a contract of employment of any type.